Capital Management and Developing a Capital Strategy
Stewardship and supervision of risks through tactical and strategic capital management
14-15 Feb 2021
- Why You Should Attend
Capital Management and Developing a Capital Strategy
To ensure we meet your expectations and maximise your return on training investment, we favour a classroom/workshop style set up for the delivery of our courses. Please note we therefore have a limited number of spaces available and these will be assigned on a first come, first accepted basis. We recommend early booking to avoid disappointment.
An intensive and practical two-day course for financial services professionals designed to ensure delegates gain a competitive edge by mastering the complexities of risk and capital management in a challenging and ever changing regulatory environment. Attendees gain practical experience in developing effective tactics and strategies for improving profitability while managing risks and meeting capital requirements. Participants obtain a compelling overview of risk and capital management, and other key issues, and how they fit together. An important aspect which will be explored in depth is the Basel capital requirements related to credit, market, counterparty, and operational risk. Also covered are capital relief transactions and how to manage the balance sheet effectively in order to control capital charges. The course will use that as a base to consider how a bank can develop a holistic and strategic vision of capital and use that to drive its corporate goals. This is all underpinned with relevant and detailed case studies and practical examples designed to move attendees beyond an abstract understanding of the topics involved.
How will you benefit?
• Learn about the qualitative and quantitative tools for measuring and managing risks in financial institutions (FIs).
• Understand the capital regulations aimed at controlling risks in FIs and how it has evolved.
• Engage with the different methodologies used for regulatory capital requirements in financial services.
• Gain awareness of how to manage risks and optimise constraints in order to achieve corporate goals and ensure sustainability through effective capital-relevant tactics and strategies.
• Review other risk and capital-related issues including balance sheet management, capital relief transactions, recovery and resolution planning, capital strategy, scenario planning and forecasting, capital and risk data, etc.
About your expert trainer:
Mark Dougherty, Independent Consultant
Mark Dougherty is a full-time risk management consultant who teaches risk management courses worldwide. Mark has worked extensively in Toronto, New York, and London, as well as other major financial centres around the globe. His career spans over 30 years in Financial Institutions, 20 of which have been in risk management. Mark has worked in financial services organisations of all types and sizes, including CIBC, Barclays, Aviva Insurance, Europe Arab Bank, Hermes Investment Management, and others. He has led major risk-related transformation programmes including Basel II and III, Solvency 2, Dodd-Frank, and others in banking and insurance. Mark is an experienced subject-matter programme director with a successful track record in implementing regulatory initiatives to establish industry-leading standards in risk and governance. Mark has led programmes involving multidisciplinary teams across different geographies with various regulatory authorities, such as the FCA, the PRA, the Bank of England, the Federal Reserve, the OSFI, the Singapore Monetary Authority, and others.
Mark provides global risk training services on risk management in developed (British Bankers’ Association, ABN AMRO, ING, Rabobank, and Wells Fargo) and emerging markets (including Egypt, UAE, Nigeria, Malaysia, and Croatia). His courses have included topics such as: Basel II and III, Risk and Capital Management, Model Risk, ICAAP, ILAAP, and Corporate Governance for clients globally. Mark is also a Risk Management lecturer for Cambridge University’s Banking Executive Programme. Mark is the author of the book ‘The Intelligent Citizen’s Guide to Risks in Financial Institutions’ (Amazon, 2014); contributing author for GARP’s (Global Association of Risk Professionals) textbook ‘Foundations of Banking Risks’ (2015), and contributor of numerous risk management articles for various professional journals. Mark is a Big Four trained Canadian Chartered Professional Accountant and Certified Management Accountant and an International Associate of the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants in the United States.
A detailed questionnaire will be sent to all course participants to establish exactly where the group training needs lie. The completed forms will be analysed by the course leader/trainer and followed by telephone if further clarification is required. As a result we can guarantee that the course is pitched at exactly the right level and that the issues that you regard as relevant are addressed. The course material will reflect these issues and will enable you to digest the subject matter after the event in your own time.
Who should attend?
From banks, those engaged in:
· Capital Management
· Capital Planning/Allocation
· Capital Adequacy/Oversight/Analysis
· Balance Sheet Management/Optimization
· Stress testing
· Capital Modelling
· Risk Management
· Asset Liability Management
· Economic Advisory
· Scenario Design
· Financial Control
· Internal/External Audit
· Model Design/Development/Validation
- Key Topics
- Learn about the qualitative and quantitative tools for measuring and managing risks in financial institutions (FIs)
- Understand the capital regulations aimed at controlling risks in FIs and how it has evolved
- Understand the different methodologies used for regulatory capital requirements in financial services
- Learn how to manage risks and optimise constraints in order to achieve corporate goals
- Review other risk and capital-related issues
- Previous Attendees Include
AIB, ING, JPMorgan, Central Bank of Ireland, PNC, De Volksbank, Nomura, Morgan Stanley, Standard Chartered, Mediobanca, Mizuho, RBS, Sberbank, Nordea, Credit Agricole, Caixa Bank, Santander, Danske Bank, Societe Generale
- Why Choose GFMI marcus evans?
marcus evans specialises in the research and development of strategic events for senior business executives. From our international network of 63 offices, marcus evans produces over 1000 event days a year on strategic issues in corporate finance, telecommunications, technology, health, transportation, capital markets, human resources and business improvement.
Above all, marcus evans provides clients with business information and knowledge which enables them to sustain a valuable competitive advantage and makes a positive contribution to their success.
- Voice of Our Customers
- “Good walkthrough covering all key important areas, offering thoughts and solutions” Erste Group Bank AG
- “Very, very helpful. Please do it again” Executive Director, Morgan Stanley
- “Insightful and well organised” ABN AMRO
- Join the Discussion
- Event Contact
For all enquiries regarding speaking, sponsoring and attending this conference contact:
101 Finsbury Pavement, London, EC2A 1RS
Telephone: 0044 203 002 3172